Did giants really exist? Although many would probably scoff at the question, there appears to be a lot of compelling evidence that, yes, giants may have really existed.
First of all, although easy for some to discount, giants have made an appearance in virtually every culture around the world. Giants are included in multiple books of the Bible, called Nephilim, and in the famous battle between David and Goliath. According to Armenian history, Hayk was part of a race of giants who founded the Armenian state and helped construct the tower of Babel. In Bulgarian mythology, giants inhabited the earth before modern humans. Giants were plentiful in Greek and Roman mythology and in mythology all over Europe. Giants also appear in Hindu mythology, and according to Jains and other cultures, giants once walked the earth. Many stories of combat with giants exist across cultures around the world. Depictions of giants are found in ancient artifacts around the world.
Not only do accounts of these giants show up in our ancient historical artifacts, but also physical evidence of giant remains have perhaps been found around the world.
Giant of Castelnau
A femur, humerus, and tibia, twice the size of modern humans, were found in France in 1890 by George Vacher de Lapouge at a Bronze Age cemetary, Castelnau. The remains were thought to be neolithic due to their location. When examined by multiple scientists and anatomists, it was determined that they were human and represented a very tall race. The height of the body was estimated to be around 11 feet 6 inches.
Only a few years later, skulls and other bones of giants were reportedly found nearby in a prehistoric cemetary at Montpeliar, France. These giants were measured at 10 to 15 feet in height, and the bones were sent to Paris for further study.
Around 15 years later, on the other side of the world in Nevada’s Lovelock Cave, remains of Si-Teh-Cah, a legendary tribe of red-haired, cannibalistic giants, were found in 1911 by two men who were hired to mine bat guano.
According to the Paiute Indians, the Si-Teh-Cah were a band of cannibalistic giants who were at war with the Paiute. After a long struggle, the remaining Si-Teh-Cah were supposedly trapped in a cave, and when they refused to come out, the Paiute set fire to the cave, killing all the Si-Teh-Cah inside.
Amazingly, the discovery of the giant remains in 1911 seems to correspond with the Paiute Indian legend, down to the detail of their red hair.
Giant Hands Found in Egypt
Recently, very large hands from 3600 years ago were found in four different pits while excavating the ancient city of Avaris, Egypt in the palace of King Khayan of Hyksos. Ancient Egyptian art and writing suggests that the practice of the right hands of your enemy being thrown into a pit might have been of ceremonial importance. Now, evidence of this practice has been discovered.
- “A 9′ 11″ skeleton was unearthed in 1928 by a farmer digging a pit to bury trash in Tensas Parish, Louisiana near Waterproof. In 1931 a 10′ 2” skeleton was unearthed by a boy burying his dog in 1933 in Nearby Madison Parish.
- A decayed human skeleton claimed by eyewitnesses to measure around 3.28 metres (10 feet 9 inches tall), was unearthed by labourers while ploughing a vineyard in November 1856 in East Wheeling, now in West Virginia.
- A human skeleton measuring 3.6 metres (12 feet) tall was unearthed at Lompock Rancho, California, in 1833 by soldiers digging in a pit for a powder magazine. The specimen had a double row of teeth and was surrounded by numerous stone axes, carved shells and porphyry blocks with abstruse symbols associated with it.
- 9′ 8″ skeleton was excavated from a mound near Brewersville, Indiana .
- In Clearwater Minnesota, the skeletons of seven giants were found in mounds. These had receding foreheads and complete double dentition).
- A mound near Toledo, Ohio, held 20 skeletons, seated and facing east with jaws and teeth “twice as large as those of present day people,” and besides each was a large bowl with “curiously wrought hieroglyphic figures.” (Chicago Record, Oct. 24, 1895; cited by Ron G. Dobbins, NEARA Journal, v13, fall 1978).
Also, various really old fossilized footprints have been discovered around the world.
This one, found in 1912 in granite in South Africa near Mpaluzi, is four feet long and estimated to be at least 200 million years old. This footprint would belong to someone 27 feet tall. Of course, some people argue that it is a natural erosion pattern while experts claim that would be nearly impossible to be the case.
More recently, in 2016, a footprint was discovered in Gizhou, China which would have belonged to a 13 foot tall person. Maybe not coincedentally, the many records of giants by ancient people report giants as being twice as tall as people.
What do you think? Is there enough evidence of giants to conclude that they once walked the earth? Do you think we will discover more evidence? Is this all a bunch of hooey? If, contrary to our belief for the last few hundred years, it turns out that giants did exist, what are the implications of that fact? Does it mean that we should be more considerate of other written records from ancient people which have been considered to be “myths”? Then again, why, when dinosaurs existed hundreds of millions of years ago, is there so much more evidence of them on the earth?